Skip to main content

Reception Theory


The preferred reading is what the creator wants the audience to think about their advert. In this advert, the preferred reading is that Reebok is unique and it makes you a better person; I know this from the copy “I am what I am”. It is a bold statement which is written in bold writing so that it is clear and you can see it. The negotiated reading is a mixture between what the reader intends to portray and also a connotation that the reader didn't mean to give off to the audience, this could be a negative reading. Some people may say that it’s inspirational as there is a picture of 50 Cent and also a quote from him. However, he was involved in a lot of crime therefore, people could be influenced as he is well known for bad things as well as good things. The oppositional reading is the reading that the creator didn’t intend to make the reader think, this is negative. Some people may say that Reebok are promoting crime due to the finger prints as it connote criminality and anti-social behaviour. This could potentially influence the younger generation into thinking that illegal activities are cool.


Image result for poster advertisement
The copy on this poster "have a break... have a kit kat" helps us to understand the preferred reading: kit kats help you to relax therefore, if you need a est with whatever you're doing, eating a kit kat ensures that you have a deserved break. The negotiated reading is that they help you to relax however, if you relax too much, you wont be able to get back to what you need to do. The oppositional reading is that this chocolate bar is able to totally distract you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Media Blog 1

I chose A level media as I love to be able to infer because there is no limit. I didn't do GCSE media studies. I am unsure about my path after sixth form so that is why I study subjects that I enjoy/ find interesting. . I have an app on my phone which sends notifications about local new stories. The last film i watched was Venom. Skins is my favourite series. I spend around 3-5 hours on my phone; i know that this is way too much.

Advert Analysis

This poster is advertising Reebok clothing. There is a close up of 50 Cent who is an inspirational man to young adults. He is a well known rapper. Reebok has used him as a model in their advert due to is popularity and it will make people want to by their clothes because they have such a famous person featuring in their advert. He has a serious facial expression- it is a reflection of his attitude; it suggests that he has independence therefore, it is gritty. The lighting highlights of parts of  his face; this also contributes to his overall seriousness. the fact that it suggests that he is independence could symbolise that Reebok is unique. it encourages their target audience of today's generation to buy their clothing as they want to be trendy but not look the same as everyone else. The theme of identity is carried throughout the advert as there is a picture of some finger prints next to the picture of the 50 Cent. No one has the same finger print- this also continues t...

CASE STUDY: everyday sexism

1)Laura Bates created the 'Everyday Sexism' project in order to speak out about sexual harassment and to destroy the normalisation of it. 2)This project links to post-feminism as it trys to encourage gender equality. Although women's rights have become more significant, they aren't as strong as men's rights. Feminism is necessary in today's society as women are sexually exploited on a daily basis and society often normalises it. 3)Technology was essential to the success of this project as it made it easy to spread the word by sharing and the use of hashtags. 4)I believe that the Everyday Sexism project will be required for a while in the future as sexual exploitation has been normalised therefore, we may not be able to change other peoples views and opinions. MEDIA MAGAZINE: the fourth wave? 1)Networked feminism is when it is divided into 'waves'; they explain the different contexts behind them culturally. It started when feminism came about. Femin...